Community Living Upper Ottawa Valley894 Pembroke Street West
Pembroke, Ontario K8A 5P8
Phone: 613-735-0659
Fax: 613-735-1373

News and Events

Passport Program Funding

Funding To Participate In Your Community

Passport is a program that helps adults with a developmental disability to participate in their communities, and helps caregivers take a break from their caregiving responsibilities.

If you receive money from Passport, here are some of the things you can use it for:


  • The cost of classes offered through a community centre or local school board (e.g., literacy, computer or cooking classes)
  • Fees for programs designed for adults with a developmental disability
  • Recreational programs (e.g., swimming lessons, camp fees)

Note: You cannot use Passport funding for tuition that is covered by a government student assistance program (e.g., OSAP), or supports that are available through an on-campus Special Needs office


  • Job preparation or work activities (e.g., hiring a support worker to help with on-the-job training or to act as a job coach at work)

Volunteer Activities

  • Support needed to participate or volunteer in community activities or events (e.g., covering the cost of transportation, having a support worker go with you to help you participate)

Daily Life

  • Activities that help develop social skills, independent living and personal management (e.g., learning how to do your banking, take public transit, or use the library)

Person-Directed Planning (Administration and Brokerage)

  • Getting help to develop a person-directed plan that builds on your strengths and interests, and identifies the support needed to achieve your goals
  • Getting help to manage human resources (e.g., support worker scheduling, job ad development, applicant screening) and financial/reporting requirements associated with managing direct funding

Note: You can use up to 10% of your total Passport funding for these expenses.

Caregiver Respite

  • Hiring someone to help with personal care of a person with a developmental disability to give the main caregiver a break. This can be in your home or a different location.

Passport funding cannot be used to pay for expenses that are not directly related to supporting the individual with the developmental disability (e.g., care for other children in the home, housekeeping, property maintenance, etc.) unless:

  • You have extenuating circumstances (ie: a change in situation where your caregiver must also take over the support worker role temporarily) and advance approval from your Passport agency, or
  • You transitioned from Special Services at Home to Passport before April 1, 2013, in which case you have a one-year grace period to use Passport funding on indirect respite as you adjust to the program. After March 31, 2014, you will no longer be able to spend it on indirect respite unless approved in advance.

For More Information

If you wish to be made aware of this funding when it is officially announced, please register with us and we will let you know. Send an email to: or call 613-735-0659 and ask to be put on the Passport Funding Notification List.